Michigan Historic Theatre Pushes Million-Dollar Charity Concert Tour Past $300K
With new events added weekly, non-profits across America continue to fundraise with Scott Helmer's 'Support YOUR Cause' tour
Phoenix, Ariz. – Independent touring and recording artist Scott Helmer, who has opened for iconic acts such as Heart, Eddie Money, 3 Doors Down, Jeff Bridges, Eric Burdon & The Animals, and Big Country, is spending a year and a half traveling more than 25,000 miles across America, donating his time and talent by performing at 200+ concerts for free in venues ranging from historic theatres to Harley-Davidson dealerships, to help raise $1 million for good causes. His performances at the historic Braumart Theatre in Iron Mountain, MI, on April 24 ($10,000 raised) and the Midland Theatre in Newark, OH on April 10 ($38,000 raised) are both great examples for theatres and charities everywhere on putting together successful fundraising events. The Braumart concert’s success has put the tour over the $300K milestone of funds raised for good causes
Here’s what went into making the Baumart Theatre’s event on April 24, 2015 a success (see photo gallery here):
- The Concept: The Friends of the Braumart is a non-profit theatre redevelopment organization with specific goals of purchasing, renovating, and managing the historic Braumart Theater. It organized the Support Your Community event to raise funds for those goals.
- Elements of the Event: The gala festivities include a silent auction, 50/50 raffle, other prizes and giveaways, plenty of concessions. Helmer’s set was preceded by popular local acoustic duo “Norton and Chartier” (Bob Norton and Jim Chartier).
- Local Support: It takes a supportive community to make an event like this happen, and local supporters for the Braumart event included Results Broadcasting, Iron Mountain Daily News, Dickinson County Healthcare System, MJ Electric, Lake State Roofing, Northern Michigan Bank, and Range Bank.
- Hard Work: All the staff and volunteers at the Braumart Theatre and the Iron Mountain Downtown Development Authority put in a lot of time and effort to pull off this great event.
- Pre-Event Press: Media coverage included articles in the Borderland Journal and UPMatters.com, radio interviews with Hans Ahlstrom & Megan Strait on WNMU-FM Public Radio 90 and Steve Orchard on WJNR Frog Country 101.5FM, and a television news story with Britta Lee on TV6 Fox-UP.
- Total Raised: $10,000.
The Support YOUR Cause Tour 2014-2015 began on May 17, 2014 with a motorcycle ride and concert to benefit Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) at Los Angeles Harley-Davidson of Anaheim, Calif., and will end with the final benefit concert on December 31, 2015. Until then, historic theatres, charities, and good causes can still register to be considered.
Helmer’s tour consists of the entertainer’s offer to all charities and nonprofits across America: Upbeat, energetic solo-acoustic set of rock and country favorites along with original material from his new CD, Wake Me When It’s Over, at their fundraising event free of charge. To date, more than 150 groups, including seventy-five historic theatres have signed up, ranging from the Kostopulos Dream Foundation in Salt Lake City, UT to the historic Raymond Theatre in Washington.
Helmer’s tour has hit it's stride and has successfully moved passed the $300K milestone of funds raised for historic theatres and other good causes. Helmer will not handle any money or donations on behalf of organizations during his performances on the Support YOUR Cause Tour. His only requirement is that each historic theatre or charity has a goal of raising at least $10,000 during its event.
After making a huge mistake back in 2008 that cost him his livelihood and his family, Helmer hit the reset button on his life to focus on three simple things: Creating music, performing music, and helping others, which is why he’s also an enthusiastic volunteer for Musicians On Call. Helmer notes, “If I can come back from the brink, anyone can. I hope my story inspires others to never give up.”
Historic theatres and other good causes interested in fundraising with Helmer's tour can be considered by filling out the registration form. Scott Helmer proudly endorses Elixir Strings, Gator Cases and Pedaltrain. Helmer is also accepting tour sponsors. Businesses and individuals can learn more here.